Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Friday, November 7, 2008

Pass Artist Association Demo


"Prospect Palms" painted on location.

This week has been very busy. I had been asked to do an art demo for one of the Art Associations in Beaumont California. When asked to do the demo I asked them what they would like me to demonstrate and they said Plein Air. So I thought about this for quite some time as to how I could do a Plein Air demo inside. My first thought would be maybe I could get them to all meet me some place and I could actually demonstrate on site. The best scenario would be to meet the artist on location, but since I knew that was not an option I started thinking of what my approach would be for my demonstration. I thought well, I can go paint a scene on location, take a photo and paint the scene again for the demo. This is exactly what I did.
On Wednesday morning at 6:15 a.m. I met some of my fellow artist friends at Prospect Park in Redlands. Since we are still painting for the Redland's Conservancy Plein Air show they were eager to meet and paint with me. The week before we had figured if we arrived an hour earlier, we would capture some of that beautiful morning sun. Unfortunately when we discussed getting there by 7 a.m. we didn't realize that the daylight saving time would change over the weekend. So to get the normal 7 a.m. sun we would have to be there by 6 a.m. We gave it a try and most were there by 6:30. I set my easel up and sketched in the scene I had wanted to paint and waited patiently for the sun to come over the rise and glisten on the Palm trees before me. It was everything I had expected and had seen the week before when we painted at the park. I quickly did my painting as the shadows were changing so fast and the light was moving, but was able to block it all in and come out with a nice painting. I really wanted to capture the contrast in colors on the far right Palm. It was just amazing. When I finished I took a photo for the demo the next day. By this time the shadows had really changed, but I figured the scene was fresh in my mind and the approach would be the same for the demo, I also wanted to make sure I simplified the subject as I knew I only had 1 1/2 hours to do the demo. I actually ended up having about 1 hour and 15 minutes so I had to really work fast.
I have added some photos from the demo taken by my husband Eddie. He went with me to set up some artwork for the art association members to look at. The demo was really a lot of fun. I really appreciated the attentiveness of the artists, the questions and their enthusiasm for my work. It was a great day. I never thought of myself as a teacher or a demonstrator of my work as I feel I have so much more to learn. However, in saying this I realized yesterday that I have come a long way and I do have something to offer other artists who might be interested in starting a Plein Air career. It was a lot of fun sharing what I have learned and I really appreciate all who have shared their talents with me.


Terry explaining her beginning approach to Plein Air (painting on location).

Terry getting close to completion of the painting.

Artists viewing Terry's painting up close.

"Prospect Palms" Finished demo piece.

After a long day a group of us went to one of our PAAR members Solo Exhibition which was in conjunction with Art's Walk in Riverside California. Ada M. Passaro has an exhibit that you do not want to miss. Her pastel work is fabulous. Be sure to go by the Riverside Visitor's Center. The show will be up through Dec.
My new website is up and running, please take a look. I think my webmaster Debbie Fulkerson did a fabulous job with the site. It is user friendly and from what I am hearing everyone is loving how easily and quickly all the pages load up. There are several pages to look at and the buttons to see all of the artwork are on the right side of the home page.


Remember Christmas is coming up, so this is a great time to start shopping and thinking about presents for friends and family. My website is doggie, kitty and Plein Air friendly! Be sure to look on the Ceramic Tile page for the new images of the murals I did for the Ayres Hotel in Redlands, Ca.


Looking forward to your comments. Until Next Time ENJOY THE ART! Terry d. Chacon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon