Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Monday, January 17, 2011

California Winter Sunset


California Winter Sunset #2-6 x 12  oil on canvas in plein air by Terry d. Chacon


Ca. Winter Sunset 6 x 12 oil







We have been having the most beautiful sunsets and my painting buddy Patricia Rose Ford and I have decided we want to capture this beauty in plein air. 

The first time we went I was really unsure on how to capture this beauty and afraid of the time element in doing so.   As the sun lowers itself the sky becomes filled with this beautiful salmon color, brilliant light and the blue becomes overpowering.    I have also found the ground becomes darker  and the sky becomes lighter and full of color.    Amazing that after the sun actually sets there is quite a while before the sky darkens.   So in saying this, we will be giving it another go this coming Thurs.  

Below is my first attempt.   A 6 x 6 study.  I finished way too fast and afterwards the sky lit up.   Which is what I want to capture.   My second attempt above is moving in the right direction.   :-)  
California Winter Sunset #1  6 x 6 oil on canvas in plein air by Terry d. Chacon


Ca. Winter Sunset 6 x 6







Until next time, ENJOY THE ART!

Terry d. Chacon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon