Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Addicted to Plein Air


"Baby Mandarins" 9 x 12 oil on canvas by Terry d. Chacon

Redlands Art Association http://www.redlandsartassociation.org/ partnering with Redlands Conservancy The Redlands Conservancy are hosting an open air painting event. (take a look at the Redlands Conservancy website to see my painting which they chose to promote one of their events) The theme for this event is "Working Properties". We will be painting every wed. and Sat. for the next month with an exhibit of the paintings and juried exhibition May 2, through May 7, 2010 at the Redlands Art Association. All artwork exhibited must be plein air and painted during the month of April. Yesterday I met of with a group of artist to paint a packing house nestled back into a fabulous view of the San Bernardino mountains. When I arrived early in the morning the view was spectacular and the light on the mountains was incredible. The newly planted mandarin orange trees mostly in shadow had a wonderful spot of light as well as the beautiful flowers in the foreground. Sometimes you have to make a good composition of the scene before you, this one was handed to me on a silver platter!


"Santa Rosa Plateau April Flowers" 9 x 12 oil on canvas board.




So how did I jump to the Santa Rosa plateau. While at my demo for Gem of the Valley on Monday another artist said they had been up painting this past weekend the wild flowers of the Santa Rosa Plateau. When I told my friend Pat Ford about this she said when should we go. I said, well lets paint in the morning at the packing house and drive down after lunch for afternoon painting. The Plateau is about 1 1/2 hours from my house. Artist Susan De'Armond and Joan Coffey thought it was a great idea and agreed to meet us there. Pat and I arrived at the ranger station and got some maps and details on where to find the flowers. As we drove into the reserve we could see spots of color everywhere. Some more brilliant than others. We passed this garden on the way out to the end of the road and decided to go back. The distant mountains with snow and the sun lit peaks felt like you were already in a painting. I walked out into the flower field and painted the above scene in bright sun. I don't usually paint this time of day as I like shadows and shadows were hard to find with the sun overhead but the mountains were beautiful so I gave it a shot.

"Lupin" 6 x 8 oil on canvas board. As I finished my first painting Pat had started another one and the other artist were still working so I decided to do a small painting. This is looking into the side lit trees with the shimmer of the grasses going up the hill. Having more shadows made it easier to work with. We then packed up, stopped at a nice little sub shop, ate a sandwich and got home around 8 pm. Twelve hours of painting, yes I think we are addicted to Plein Air!

Let me know which painting is your favorite, I like them all for different reasons, but would like to know your opinion. Close up you see a lot of palate knife strokes which take over, step back from your computer screen you will see the paintings much better.

Until next time, ENJOY THE ART! Terry d. Chacon


Thank you Patricia Rose Ford for the photos.

2 comments:

  1. Great painting of the mandarin grove. I love the transition of hues as the bright sunlight fades to shadow in the foreground. Glad Susan and you got to some Lupins as she has been wanting to paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie, I had hoped the Lupin would have been more prevalent, unfortunately it was quite sparce. I don't know if it was just coming in or going out. Maybe another trip down to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon