Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Florals for MOM

Since it is close to Mother's day I thought I would brighten your day with a few of my floral paintings, most recent and one from last year. These original paintings are for sale and would make a great Mother's day gift. Prints, ceramic tiles and notes will be added to my collection so be sure to keep a watch on my plein air works on my website (http://www.terrydchacon.com/) or contact me directly by email for prices and orders. Enjoy the florals! Happy Mother's day to all!



I have been working on some florals in my garden and in my friend Louise's garden for the past couple of years. It is very hard as a Plein Air Artist to turn down a beautiful day in the garden, especially when I look outside and the light is just right. I have to drop everything and go paint. The first painting is a painting of one of my rose bushes that I did a couple weeks ago. These roses are so beautiful and such a sight to see let alone paint. This is a 5 x 7 oil on canvas and done completely with a palate knife on location (my garden).









The next painting is a recent painting I did at my friends Louise Smith's garden. She has the best collection of blue agave plants in all shapes and sizes. I did one of these paintings last year in her garden and Caroline Alleman of Switzerland purchased it. She loves the painting. I actually love the blue agave for more than one reason. It is a beautiful plant, puts off great shadows and makes great tequila. This painting is a 6 x 8 on canvas board done with a palate knife.






This painting was done in my garden in winter. These Hibiscus plants bloom after Christmas and stay until it starts getting warm. I really enjoy them when it is cold outside. One thing is they do not like rain, so this year I had to paint them on a cold sunny day because we had so much rain I was afraid they would turn brown. Completed on a 5 x 7 canvas with a palate knife.

The Sunflower painting is one I did on location but is considered still life as I painted it inside at a recent exhibition at the Riverside Art Museum call "Art Alive". Painting at art alive was a great experience for me as I learned I can do still lifes and it is much, much easier than painting on location outside. Your subject never changes and you can really take your time, however, I am so used to my subject changing with the position of the sun that I had a hard time realizing I could take my time. This painting is 5 x 7.

This last painting I wanted to include with this blog post was finished last year at Louise's Garden and I found in my collection this morning. I painted this with a brush as there were so many plants involved along with the brick wall and the steps that lead up to Louise's daughters house on the hill, I was afraid of making a mess with my knife. Great pathway and they have beautifully designed it with florals that bloom most of the year here in S. Cal. This is a 5 x 7 on canvas board. I wanted you to see the difference between my brush work in the garden and the palate knife. The brush work to me is light and fluffy, the palate knife is bold and beautiful and makes a statement not matter if it is done outside or inside. What is your opinion. As always your comments are welcome. Until the next time, ENJOY THE ART! Terry





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon