Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Art Alive -Riverside Art Museum


Every year the Riverside Art Museum has an exhibit at the museum called Art Alive. I have never participated in this event before as I felt very intimidated by the quality of art that had always been entered and accepted, but one day I had a call from Bobbie Powell (director of the Art Museum until 2004 and the chair of this event). She asked if I could get the Plein Air Artists of Riverside to enter some paintings in this years competition and to also come in and paint during the exhibit. I told her that I could do this for her. I quickly sent out an email to the group and Bobbie followed with a letter and prospectus for the artist. Any artist can enter the show, but she thought since a lot of us paint in impressionistic style that our paintings would go along with the theme "France in Bloom". I took a couple of my paintings that I thought would go with the theme and asked Pat Ford if she could put the images on a CD for me so I could enter the show (I need to learn how to do this). It is a jurying process so not all artwork is accepted. The actual florist that are invited to participate, come into the museum, view all the paintings and choose a painting that they would like to work with and feature in their presentation. I am happy to report that my painting "The Rose Garden, Morning Light" that I painted during the University of Redland's 100 year anniversary Paint Out was accepted. This painting was done very early morning to capture the beautiful light as the sun started coming up from behind the San Bernardino Mountains. We had painted during the week, which was when we had the fires going on in Southern California and the only time the skies were clear and colorful was very early morning. I have attached the painting that I will be taking to the museum today. The show starts April 2nd through April 6th. They have an artist/florist reception on April 2nd. April 3rd, 4th and 5th the Plein Air Artists of Riverside will be painting throughout the museum. Everyone is welcome, there is a $5.00 fee to watch the artist paint and to see the show. On Sunday the artist will have their works on sale to the public during a book signing and luncheon (luncheon tickets are $40.00) by well known author Susan Vreeland. Her new book is named "Luncheon of the Boating Party" Pierre-August Renoir, 1881. Most of her books are about famous artists from the past and she takes one of their paintings and tells the story behind them. I can't wait to see what the florist will do with my painting and to see the show. Until next time-ENJOY THE ART. Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon