Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More University of Redlands Paintings

This was the first day of painting at the University of Redlands Centennial Celebration. I should say the first day for me. The event started on Sat. I was up north at the Northern Afghan Hound Club Specialty show where Apache was awarded an award of Merit by judge Ed Gilbert. The following day judged by Edith Hanson, Chief was awarded reserve winners dog. It was a very nice weekend. Matthew and his girlfriend Taylor joined Abbe, Bruce, Bobby and me on Sat. evening for dinner and then came back to spend the next day with us at the dog show. This was Taylor's first dog show and I am sure an eye opening experience. Anyway Eddie had called to tell me the fires had started in Malibu and that I needed to be sure and check when I got to Abbe's in Santa Barbara if the freeway was open before I tried to come on home. I really wanted to get home Sunday night as I had life drawing class on Monday morning and I needed to get ready for the Paint Out at the University. When we arrived at Abbe the 101 was still open so I headed out. The wind was blowing so bad. By the time I got to the 210 which is after Pasadena the wind was blowing so bad that I saw 5 big wheelers turned over on their side. This was after midnight, so one could say I was getting really frightened. Signs were blowing, debris from everywhere. I just held onto the stirring wheel and made it home. I was saying my prayers. Now back to the Paint out. The first 3 paintings were the first day. You can see that there were no mountains in the back ground as compared to the same views I had painted a couple weeks before. You can go back in the blog and view these. It was so strange how the sky constantly changed colors. In Redlands we don't usually get the winds. The winds are all around us and the Arrowhead fires were right behind these buildings. At night you could see the flames. It was very scary. So we painted all day. The next morning I wanted to arrive at 6:30 as I thought early morning looking East I could at least get some colorful skies. That was the painting I did in the previous blog named "Rose Garden at Sunrise". After the Rose Garden I met up with my friend Pat and we liked the trees as they were turning Fall colors against the roof tops and the clock tower. By this time the smoke was very bad. We had to paint with masks on. The ash was floating around, it was unbelievable. Remember on a clear day this setting has beautiful mountain scenery behind them. That afternoon after a bunch of us PAAR painters met at the commons for lunch and rest. We walked around and looked at different views to paint. I decided to call it a day. I was very tired. On Thursday I got out to paint around 8 a.m. I had remembered the beautiful light the morning before on the Larsen Hall and was hoping the sun would peak through again, this is the painting with the dome, so I set up on the quad at the University and looked up the street to paint the dome and the way the nice shadows were hitting this particular side of the building. After lunch a few of us decided to go back to my house and rest before painting our last painting of the day. This painting is on the blog before this, named "Sunset at the Alumni House". Eddie thought it would be nice for me to invite the PAAR group over on Friday morning after take in of our paintings for the GALA Friday night, as many of our members come from quite a ways away. Here is a photo of some of the group who came over to spend the day before the Gala and in between an Artist luncheon that they had at the University for us. Also a photo of my booth which was set up on Sat. for a sale of the weeks work and some paintings I had done of some surrounding areas of Redlands. I also had available ceramic tiles, music boxes and note cards. It was a great selling day for all. Ceramic tiles, music boxes, note cards of the paintings and some of the paintings are still available. If you are interested be sure to contact me at Well thanks for listening about my week, it was a great time and I only wish Redland's University would make this an annual event. Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon