Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Trip to Laguna Beach and the Montage

Finally I was able to get out to the beach for a day of painting. Patricia Rose Ford picked me up around 7 a.m. and we kind of had a feeling the day was going to be overcast as we left Redlands. As we approached the beach it was very foggy so we decided to go have breakfast and see what the day would bring. Every year I love going to Laguna to the Art's Festival. So Pat and I figured we would paint in the morning, and attend the festival in the afternoon, have a late lunch early dinner and return home. Well, mother nature decided our plans for us and said no, you will attend the festival first, have your late lunch early dinner then you may paint! After breakfast we took a walk along the beach and then decided to go to the Laguna Art Supply. I love this store. They have lots of different supplies for every type of art. It's a hands on experience. I gave Pat wrong directions and we actually parked and started walking to find the store in downtown Laguna Beach. Happy Mistake!

We came upon this wonderful gallery full of these remarkable sculptures. Yep, none other than Richard MacDonald. You can view his website at http://www.richardmacdonald.com/. We went in and started chatting with the Gallery Director who was Richard's son. What a wonderful person he is and a great asset to this particular gallery. He explained his dad's methods, his career and of course I bought the video that was playing on this large screen in the gallery. Richard sculpts using live models for his work and sculpts as they dance and do beautiful poses. I was so inspired by him that I cannot wait to start my next bronze.

Rich told us how to get to the Art Supply store from his gallery. Pat and I found the store and were delighted with our finds. I bought an armature so I can start my next bronze and some other things that I needed in my studio. We then went on to the Festival. I was wonderful seeing all the artwork and chatting with some of the artist who were there. We ended up having our late lunch/early dinner at the Festival of Arts. Pat and I were so enthralled with our lunch and chatting that we soon realized, the restaurant was closed and they were setting up for a wedding. We laughed as we looked around and the tables were all moved but ours and chairs were set up all around us. We asked the waiter why she didn't tell us to move and she smiled and said there was no hurry and we looked like we were having a good time!

Off to the beach. I wanted to go back to a place the PAAR group had painted a while back which is at the Montage Resort. The painting I did was from another bluff looking down at the Keyhole Rock which sits directly behind the hotel. Here is a link to the Montage, if your ever in the area it is a must see and a luxury place to stay.
Laguna Beach California Luxury Beach Resorts Montage Resort & Spa Orange County Luxury Spa Resort

On a very sad note, 67 afghan hounds were confiscated this past week and the AHCA is taking responsibility to re-home these afghan hounds. If you can find it in your heart to make a donation to this cause please go to this website for details. http://mosso.net/rescue I will be donating an 11 x 14 oil painting ($600.00 value) of your dog, painted by me from your photograph, and all proceeds will go to this rescue effort. It will become available soon on the site above for you to either bid on or buy tickets, however, the group wants to set it up to bring in the most money. I am also sending Barb Hastings (AHCA rescue chair) $200.00 worth of note cards so that she can thank people who have opened up their hearts to this cause. I am sure once you see the details on the website and look into these wonderful Afghans eyes you will want to help too.

UNTIL NEXT TIME, ENJOY THE ART and give your animals an extra hug! Terry d. Chacon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon