Comments Welcome

Weekly Paintings By National Award Winning Artist Terry d. Chacon

Thursday, June 24, 2010

US Open 2010


"Untitled" 9 x 12 by Terry d. Chacon You can join in the fun, just send me an email to name this painting or leave a comment on my blog. You can also go to my fan page on facebook and leave your suggestion there. Winner will receive a set of notecards and the winning title will be chose June 29, 2010. Many titles have been submitted already and they are great, it is going to be very difficult to choose, but I want something to express my feelings on the day I painted this painting. I dropped the guys off at the golf course and proceeded to find a place to paint. When I arrived I had forgotten my canvas box at the motel. Back in the car and to the motel. I started this painting around 5:30 and finished by 7:30. The sun glistening on the rocks and the water was magical. I loved the magenta ground cover and the little bench. How lucky am I that halfway through my painting a lady in a hat came and sat at on the bench. She set there for quite some time. I kept wondering what she was thinking.

Now onto our vacation at the US Open 2010.


We arrived Monday evening after a very long drive to the Monterey Penisula. My brother and sister -n- law came along too. We were in for a vacation of a lifetime. My son Matthew is the Program Director for the First Tee Foundation in Monterey and also a full time golf coach. He had dreamed of the day when he would be able to attend a US Open and when we found out it was in Pebble Beach we decided to put our names in the lottery and hope to be chosen to be one of the attendees. Well we won. I guess winning really isn't the word as we paid an arm and a leg for the tickets, the motel, eating and transportation to and from the event. But what's money right, we have memories that will last a lifetime.

On Tuesday we got up and my traveling group went to play golf at Laguna Seca Laguna Seca Golf Ranch and I went out to Pacific Grove to paint. It was overcast and very cold at the motel, but when I arrived at my destination it was nice and sunny. Unfortunately the golfers were stuck in the fog that did not lift all during their game.

"View of Lovers Point" 9 x 12 Oil on Canvas by Terry d. Chacon
Lovers Point Inn Pacific Grove


I chose this particular view because of the beautiful flowers in the foreground. When I set up on the bluff it was calm. After there a while the ocean became furious and the swells were huge. The waves were hitting the rocks and the spray was hitting me. I thought I might should move, but I didn't want to ruin the experience to get a nice painting. The following photo was taken by a man from New Jersey. His wife wanted to take a photo with me so I said yes as long as he would take a photo of me with my camera. He almost didn't get me, but you can see the scene I was painting.



Eddie, Matthew, Betty and Bobby at the entrance to the 2010 US Open. On Wed. we headed out to the tournament. It was a practice day so we were allowed to take camera's but no cell phones. I took 155 photos of the day.


This was one of my favorites. Tiger Woods on the 18th hole. He was magnificent to watch. Good thing we saw him on practice day as the next 4 days it was difficult to see him because of the people that surrounded him. One day we counted 35 photographers that followed him from hole to hole. He is surrounded by security and the media. He is the most popular player, even after his transgressions. :-)

This photo was taken at Fisherman's Wharf. We celebrated Father's Day at one of the restaurants. "My Family" I am so proud of them.

Be sure to send in your names for the above painting. Winner will be chosen June 29. Also my 10% off on all bronze sculptures ends June 30. www.terrydchacon.com

Until next time, ENJOY THE ART! Terry d. Chacon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments without signatures will not be posted on my blog. If you want me to reply, please put in your email address. Thanks, Terry d. Chacon